Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Busy and Tired

Yup, that right I am a little tired I have started my lambing season already and I am not getting much sleep. I have 2 ewes each with a set of twins and had 10 bum lambs but I lost 4 two nights ago to the bitter cold even with 2 heat lamps and plenty of bedding down in the pen for them. I went out yesterday morning to feed them and that is when I found I had lost 4 of my babies. So I brought the rest into the house. I diapered them and fed them and placed them in the living room by the heater till they warmed up. So I have 6 wonderful little lambs running around the house now with their diapers on it is the cutes thing to see! especially when I tell them it is time to change they all run up to me and wait their turn and then I feed them all. My father started to laugh last night when I was going into the living with the bottles for the babies because all you could see was these little white butts following after me wanting to get fed. It was really quit comical to see. So I have all the bums in the house till hubby gets home so we can work on something in the barn to keep the babies more warm. So I of course I have to name them if they are going to be in the house! Isn't that how it works when you take a poor little animal in the house to take care of them they need a name. So as I sit here typing this out to let you know about my babies I have all 6 of them at my feet under the desk waiting to be fed. I think I missed my true calling in life! And that was to be someone who works with animals. I did not know I had this talent until last year when I had to do the whole lambing season by myself, because hubby got pulled out of state to drill wells. Boy I tell you this city girl was scared spit less last year when my ewes started lambing I thought I could not do it all alone but I stepped back and took a deep breath and waded through all the after birth and helping the ewes with the lambs and even learn some simple vet care thing to do if a lamb gets in trouble. I just wish I had more sheep than what I have so I can quit my job at the gas station and do this full time I do truly enjoy working with all my animals. I do seem to surprise my father on how well I do withe the sheep since I was born and raised in the city in California. Well the wee ones are calling for me so I should get them fed soon and also feed the humans as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment