Thursday, September 24, 2009

Lambing Season

Well I am starting to get ready for this winters lambing season . I spoke with a neighbor about getting their wood shavings. I am also going to start stocking up on diapers. Yes you read right diapers I use them on the little lambs that I have to take in and bottle feed. I know it sounds crazy but it really works. and I get this bond with the lamb and it makes it easier for handling when they are older, they are not afraid of you and you can work with them. The diapers save on your floor and you are not having to clean up all these little marbles all the time. I tried it this last winter when we were having temps below zero degrees in the early morning hours when I would have to go out and bottle feed them in the barn. So while my husband was away one time this last winter I had a lamb that her mother who didn't have enough milk to care for 2 lambs so I took Mazie in and tried the diaper thing and it worked! So I thought why not do it on all of the bottle lambs! I tell you it sure saved on my floors.I have proof of it in my Picasa photo gallery at the bottom of this blog take a look and see what you think? I am really proud of my bottle babies and they are all doing really great, they are with all the other sheep in my herd. I put them out with them when I see that they are holding thier own and start to gain weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment